Emory Beacon Church originally built in the mid 1800s was razed and rebuilt during and after the Civil War. A 1920 era expansion included the addition of a terracotta façade, pedimented portico and cornice. During the following decades, inappropriate repoints and water intrusion issues led to spalling, staining, and some breakage of masonry units comprising the columns of the portico.
Once historically accurate materials matching was completed, repairs were executed on the portico columns. A complete joint removal and replacement was necessary to remove inappropriate prior repoints. Sensitive repoint was done using minimal power tools and hand tools only to prepare the joint for repointing with a historically accurate mortar. Edison coatings provided superbly matched mortars and coatings to help restore damaged units to match intact original units.
The final results are a freshened look which maintains the historic qualities of the building to the greatest degree possible.